California is the top state for electric vehicles (EVs). The Golden State is highly focused on EV adoption and is incentivizing residents to get on board. State agencies and utilities offer the most robust EV and EV charging rebates in the country.
The utility that offers some of the best EV incentives is Southern California Edison (SCE). This article breaks down the SCE EV rebates so you know how much you can save by owning an EV or installing EV charging stations at your facility.
SCE EV Rebates
Southern California Edison (SCE) offers electric vehicle incentives for residential and commercial adoption.
SCE residential customers can receive a $1,000 rebate for a pre-owned EV. An SCE rebate may be claimed up to three times by different owners or lessees of the same electric vehicle.
SCE offers the California Clean Fuel Reward to residents who purchase or lease a new EV. You could receive up to $1,500 instantly. The instant reward is available to anyone who buys or leases a new EV with a battery capacity of greater than 5 kWh in California. The California Clean Fuel Reward is offered on a sliding scale that depends on the EV’s battery size.
SCE EV Charging Rebates for Business
When it comes to electric vehicle charging for business, SCE offers incentives to commercial, multi-family, and public sector facilities through their Charge Ready Program. The Charge Ready Program only offers rebates for Level 1 and Level 2 chargers, DC fast chargers are not included. There are three Charge Ready Programs available: the Turn-Key Installation Program, the Charging Infrastructure and Rebate Program, and the New Construction Rebate Program.
Commercial buildings can participate in the Charging Infrastructure and Rebate Program. Through the program, SCE offers the design-build and installation of EV infrastructure. If you opt to install the customer-side (not the utility-side) of the EV infrastructure through a partner like U.S. Energy Recovery, you could qualify for a rebate of up to 80% of what SCE estimates the construction to cost.
SCE also offers rebates for Level 1 and Level 2 charging station purchases and installation after the project is completed.
Charging Infrastructure and Rebate Program requirements for commercial buildings include:
- Applicants must plan to install four or more EV charging ports.
- Applicants’ project site(s) must be located within SCE territory.
- Participants’ EV charging equipment must be operational for at least 10 years.
- Participants must enroll in a Time-Of-Use (TOU) rate plan and a qualifying Demand Response program.
- Participants’ EV charging equipment must be networked and usage and pricing information must be shared with SCE.
Multi-family property owners and operators
Multi-family property owners and operators can choose from all three Charge Ready programs.
- Turn-Key Installation Program: Multi-family properties located in designated Disadvantaged Communities (DAC) can apply for EV charging equipment installation through SCE. SCE takes care of everything, and participants are only responsible for the associated utility bill.
- Charging Infrastructure and Rebate Program: For multi-family owners outside of DACs who plan to install four or more EV Level 1 or Level 2 charging ports. SCE can take care of the design-build and installation of the complete EV infrastructure. You can also elect to partner with an EV charging company like U.S. Energy Recovery, and qualify for a rebate of up to 80% of what SCE estimates the construction to cost.
SCE will also provide rebates for the EV charging stations and the installation.
- New Construction Rebate Program: This rebate is for developers of new multi-family properties that comply with CALGreen code requirements, but haven’t installed EV charging stations yet. Rebates of up to $3,500 per port are available for Level 1 and Level 2 charging stations.
In order to qualify, your site must exceed mandatory CALGreen building codes by installing EV charging infrastructure. Participants must enroll in a SCE Time-Of-Use (TOU) rate plan. Participants must also install networked (as opposed to non-networked) EV charging stations with the usage and pricing information to be shared with SCE.
Public sector and municipal facilities are eligible for the Charging Infrastructure and Rebate Program as detailed in the “Commercial Buildings” section above.
Electrify Your Commercial Facility
As you can see from this article, SCE offers some of the best rebates for commercial EV charging stations. Whether you are a multi-family unit, office building, or warehouse we can take care of the rebate application process for you and get you the ideal electric vehicle charging solution for your facility. Reach out here. If you’re interested in learning more about EV charging, check out our “Ultimate Guide to Electrifying a Commercial EV Future.”